Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sara and Erich's HypnoBirthing Story


Sara and Erich took my classes at Seaside Women’s Health in Encinitas, North County San Diego. Here is their story:


I could not believe how similar my birth story was to your first baby's birth! I was really shaking in transition, and I remembered that is what you described as well. My doula did not show up to the hospital as promised which was a disappointment. And lastly, my son was born with his hand up next to his head, just like your first baby!
I was overdue and my OB was concerned about the health of the baby. She had scheduled me for induction on Tuesday at exactly 42 weeks
 which was pushing her from her usual 41.5 week induction date. She was
flexible and understood that I was waiting until the last possible moment to be induced. We decided to try sweeping my membranes on the Friday before to see if that would work. Nothing happened except for cramping. I went to Indigo Dragon Wellness Center for their induction acupuncture the same day. Nothing but lots of cramps. We waited it out Saturday and nothing. Sunday came and finally that evening, after walking the beach stairs, I noticed more intense cramping, but nothing that uncomfortable. I just took my time breathing through them.
My water broke soon after and I was surprised at how different the surges felt from the cramps. From there things got much more intense. Thinking we had tons of time to labor at home, I tried to go shower, wash my hair and relax but it was not happening. I put on the affirmations and ran a bath but it was too uncomfortable against the hard porcelain. The doula was not answering her phone or responding to texts. The only position I found to give me comfort was the "slow dance"; hanging on my husband and swaying. After only about 20 minutes or so, the surges were a minute apart and I was really shaky. My mom came over, thinking we were having dinner, and promptly told us to get going to the hospital. As much as I thought we were going too soon, I knew the surges were really close and we should probably get moving.
It took me forever to get to the car, stopping and breathing through each surge. We sped along the 5 freeway to Scripps La Jolla Hospital and again it took forever to get to elevator and up to the maternity area as I didn't want the wheelchair. They didn't bother putting in a hep-lock, taking blood, signing paperwork or putting the monitor on me. The nurse checked and I was at 9cm. We waited a little bit longer for the doctor and it was time to push! The nurse offered me the epidural, even though the birth plan said not to, but at that point I knew I was so close there was no way I was considering getting one. About 2 hours from the time my water broke, Landon Thomas was born alert, happy and drug-free.


Although I didn't listen to the rainbow relaxation CD at all, as there wasn't much time and I was too focused to get it playing, I know that the HypnoBirthing classes really helped me. They made me feel confident, knowing that my body and my baby would figure out what to do on their own. Knowing I was made to do this allowed me to remain fearless about the final stages of labor and the pushing. I walked away from the experience feeling very empowered and happy about the outcome of the birth. My husband was also able to act as a doula, since she wasn't able to get there, and know how to provide comfort and support in a positive way as we learned in class.


So, thank you so much for providing me with confidence and a birth without fear! We couldn't have done it without you :)

Sara, Erich and Landon
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sara and Erich, thank you so much for sharing your story! I'm so glad that you were able to have such a quick birth yet feel educated, informed & in control as much as possible with everything happening so fast! I hope you are continuing to enjoy your babymoon!


If you are interested in taking HypnoBirthing classes in the San Diego area, please feel free to contact Carol for class schedules and more information at: A Well Lived Life. If Carol's schedule does not work with yours, she would love to refer you to other local instructors as well. If you aren’t in the San Diego area but are still interested in utilizing all that HypnoBirthing has to offer, check out The HypnoBirthing Institute and find a Local Practitioner for you!

No comments: