Sunday, August 3, 2008

An analogy for birth

An Analogy for Birth-by Mickey Mongan, Founder of HypnoBirthing

There is a rhythm and a flow to each individual labor, just as there is for all of Nature.

I told of a lemon experience story in my last class that made me become even more aware that very little in Nature is synchronized to all happen at the same time and according to someone else's expectation with no consideration of time variation.

As the story goes, I went out to my lemon tree a few months ago to grab some lemons. Well, that's just what I did. The first just wouldn't release no matter how I pulled, so I reached up beyond the lemon and tore the stem from the limb. Yes, I damaged the bark on the limb, but the only thing that really counts is that I ended up with a healthy lemon and a tree that would mend. I next took another lemon and twisted it until it separated from the stem. I had a slightly bruised tree from all the pulling and twisting, but I had a healthy lemon, and I was happy.

I then reached up and cupped another lemon that immediately fell into my hands from the star-shaped end of the stem. I ended up with a happy tree, a healthy lemon, and I, too, was happy.

We need to be able to see labor as individualized as we would see other factors of Nature. For everyone to be happy, we need to wait for the clues from Nature that will come only when Nature is ready. If we trust birth and believe in it's perfect design, then we cannot expect to see everything happen in one time frame.

By the way, I apologized to the tree for attempting to approach the task with a one-size-fits-all mentality.

www.AWellLivedLife.Net
www.AWellLivedLife.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Katharine Graves said...

It's also good to know that, if you go to an apple tree where the fruit is nearly ripe, pick one, and bring it inside to riped in the warm, the ones left on the tree in their natural environment will ripen quicker.

Katharine

Katharine Graves is a hypnobirthing teacher in London