Sunday, April 15, 2012

A HypnoBirthing Story: Tracy and Tom

Tracy and Tom took Carol's HypnoBirthing classes in May 2011 at Seaside Women's Health in Encinitas, North County San Diego.

"Well I finally got around to writing our HypnoBirthing story. I just kind of let it roll. I can't thank you enough for guiding us through this experience. Getting stung by a stingray while surfing hurt more than labor and you can quote me on that. I gave birth exactly on my guess date -I was 40 weeks (my doc was willing to let me go another week). I had no drugs and Ellie was 6 lbs 13oz and 19 inches. From the time I had my first surges to her birth was less than 8 hours. I was only at the hospital for 3 hours before she was born. She is a joy to be around. Here is our story:"




At around 5:00 a.m on September 12th I woke up with what felt like mild cramping. I wasn’t really sure what I was feeling, so I got up and tried to finish a project “just in case” this was the real thing. In the background I played my Rainbow Relaxation. At around 6:30 a.m. I started timing my “cramps” which seemed to be coming about 6 minutes apart. Slightly in denial, I said to myself –“I’ll wake Tom if it is consistent three more times in a row”. I said this to myself about 4 or 5 times. Our Hypnobirthing plan was to labor at home as long as possible and only go to the hospital when my surges were about 3 ½ to 4 minutes apart…I figured this would be a long haul so I told Tom to finish any work he may have and then he could read me some Hypnosis scripts we received in class and help me with my relaxation work. I still had the Rainbow Relaxation CD on and I was doing hip rolls on our physio ball while calling friends and family. I stopped timing the surges around 7:30 a.m., but at around 8:30 a.m. the intensity jumped up a notch and I was suddenly at 4 minutes apart. I tried not to stress out and I mentioned to Tom that he might want to eat something because we would be leaving for the hospital within the hour.

Tom did not eat anything.

I had the Rainbow Relaxation CD playing in the car during the ride to the hospital and I felt very calm and relaxed. I breathed through each surge while envisioning an opening flower and although at times there was a lot of pressure, I was never in any pain. My water broke one block from the hospital so I was admitted immediately. By the time we got off the 78 (25 minutes later) my surges were 3 minutes apart. It was 10:30 a.m. The admitting nurse said I was only at 2 cm and I remember thinking –“ I should have waited at home longer”. We were shown to our private room where I changed into my own gown, turned down the lights and listed to my iPod –you guessed it–still listening to the Rainbow Relaxation. Our labor and delivery nurse was amazing -she read our plan and asked us our preferences for every little thing she did. She said she had been a part of a few hypnobirths and was familiar with the concept. Tom and I both felt like she respected our wish to be in charge of our own birth. My sister and my friend were also present and said the staff seemed very open to our plan.



The next 2 hours were a blur. I was completely focused during my surges but the mood in my room was light in between surges and we were joking around and telling Ellie it was fine to come out whenever she was ready. At around 12:30 p.m. my surges were about 2 ½ minutes apart and Tom mentioned he was really hungry. I shot him a “seriously” look as he asked the nurse for the nearest pizza delivery place. At 1:00 p.m. I felt an intense pressure near my rectum and I remember Carol saying “If you feel like you have to’go’ –you’re close”. I told my sister I felt like I had to go to the bathroom and as a veteran of 2 hypnobirths she ran to get our nurse. It was time. I actively breathed Ellie down for about an hour and 15 minutes and she was born drug free at 2:04 p.m. I was told a pizza delivery boy arrived at our room around 1:30 p.m. and is scarred for life –Tom gave him a big tip.



Afterthoughts:
Hypnobirthing was such an integral part of Ellie’s healthy birth. During labor Ellie’s heart rate dropped and there was talk of a C section –I looked my doctor in the eye and said –if you let me sit up I think we’ll be o.k. She let me get in a more comfortable position and sure enough Ellie’s heart rate jumped right back up to normal. I knew my body, and my doctor was respectful of my decision. All in all I would say that even if your birth doesn’t go exactly how you want it to go –hypnobirthing gives you the tools to be in charge of your own birth. We also treated the staff with respect and got respect right back. Tom and I worked a lot on our scripts and I did a lot of visualization –without the work I don’t think our birth experience would have been the same. As part of our plan, we decided ahead of time that complications may arise, but we need to make informed decisions –and we did. Ellie is now 3 months old and she is a calm and very happy baby –I attribute her amazing demeanor to a calm and happy birth experience. Thank you Carol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations, Tracy and Tom! Thank you so much for sharing your HypnoBirthing story! I'm so glad that you were able to have such an amazing birthing experience. That is the goal of my teaching...to give women and their partners the information and confidence they need so that they can have the most comfortable, calm, empowering birth experience possible! Enjoy your babymoon!

If you are interested in taking HypnoBirthing classes in San Diego, please visit our website at www.AWellLivedLife.net to learn more and to see the schedule of upcoming classes. Carol and Kelly teach classes in North County San Diego. If their schedule doesn't fit your schedule, please contact them and they can refer you to other local practitioners. If you are outside San Diego, CA, please vist www.hypnobirthing.com and go to Find a Practitioner to find a class near you.

www.AWellLivedLife.net
www.AWellLivedLife.blogspot.com

No comments: